A delegation representing key ministries from the Government of India participated in a study tour to Europe on sustainable cold chain as part of the Clean Energy and Climate Partnership (CECP) project. The delegation visited 4 countries namely Rotterdam in the Netherlands, Paris in France, Brussels in Belgium and Madrid in Spain from 22nd May to 28th May 2022 to learn about technologies, possible business and implementation models and collaboration opportunities between India and EU in the area of the cold chain. The delegation met with organizations and visited their facilities to see and understand more about the new and innovative cold chain technologies in Europe along with meeting the European Commission and cold chain associations.
The delegation included representatives from:
- Ministry of Power
- Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEF&CC)
- Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers' Welfare (MoA&FW)
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
- Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
- Federation of Cold Storage Associations of India (FCAOI)
The study tour builds on earlier work done under the India-EU CECP project on ‘investment opportunity in climate friendly and energy efficient Cold-chain’ which identifies the infrastructure gaps in cold-chain components, assesses the investment opportunities in the cold-chain sector in India by exploring best practices / technologies in Europe which can help in sustainable development of the sector.
The tour consisted of the following visits:
- Visit to the Cool Rail Terminal, Rotterdam and Meeting with Euro Pool, Transfesa Logistics Thermoking and Unit 45 teams followed by field visit to Thermoking facility of their advanced temperature control and management of refrigerated transport
- Meeting with the Colruyt Group in and field visit to the Liquid Ice Containers technology unit of the Colruyt group in Brussels
- Visit to Rungis Market, Paris
- Meetings with the European Cold Storage and Logistics Association and the Cold Chain Associations in Spain, Paris and the Netherlands
- Meeting with representatives from Friologic, Madrid followed by a site visit to their refrigerated transport facility.
The study tour report will provide further details into the discussions, findings and recommendations from this tour.